A startup competition to celebrate small businesses solving for a clean energy future.
Brought to you by the TechUnited:BetterPlanet program founding sponsor, PSEG.
Are you powering the future?
About the BetterPlanet Challenge
Together with PSEG, the TechUnited:BetterPlanet program presents the 2nd Annual BetterPlanet Challenge, promoting electrified transportation for New Jersey, propelled by technology & innovation. Applications will close August 13, 2021.
Startups working on innovative solutions to promote and create innovative solutions that support and promote electrified means of transportation are encouraged to apply.
Electrified transportation is increasingly adopted by startups, large corporates, and national governments. If your company is addressing a clean energy future, apply today and let’s propel your solution.
If your company wants to join the TechUnited:BetterPlanet program to propel innovation in NJ, be in touch.
BetterPlanet Challenge Statement
Promote Electrified Transportation
This solution accelerates and/or supports the equitable adoption & use of electric vehicles and/or electrified transportation.
BetterPlanet Challenge Applicant Criteria
- Solution provides opportunity for workforce development, via training and skills that will be needed to develop & implement a clean energy future.
- Solution supports and/or provides value and energy resources to low-income and underrepresented communities in New Jersey to promote a just transition.
- Note: A just transition is a set of principles, processes, and practices that build economic and political power to shift from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy. (Source: Climate Justice Alliance)
- Solutions can include software, hardware, or a combination of the two.
- Company is generating $2M or less, annually.
- Company is based in the US.
- Preference given to:
- Companies based in New Jersey
- Solutions that will create new jobs in New Jersey
- How does your solution reduce transportation-related pollution in urban areas?
- How does your solution offer speed and reliability to electrified transportation?
- How accessible is your solution to low-income residents?
- How scalable is your solution?
- How does your solution take into account current economic conditions?
- Can your solution support US automaker’s goals for electric fleets/models?
- Does your solution approach supporting electrified transportation in a new and innovative way?
- How does your solution build a better future for all?
The Applicant Process
Submit your Application
Semi-Finalists Match With Executive Mentors & are reviewed for corporate opportunities.
Semi-Finals Event with Top Ten Applicants on September 16, 2021.
Top Three Finalists are chosen via Semi-Finals Judges, Top Three Pitch at Propelify.
$50,000 prize is awarded at Propelify in October 2021.
2020 Program Recap: Promote Energy Efficiency, Energy Equity, & Workforce Development
TechUnited & PSEG launched this program in 2020 to create a clean energy future for New Jersey by leveraging and supporting entrepreneurs & innovators in the region. The 2020 Winner of the Challenge & its $50,000 prize was WexEnergy.
Check out the 2020 highlights: Challenge Announcement, Challenge Semi-Finals, Challenge Finals, & a few great interviews held throughout the year.
PSE&G Gains Approval to Jump-Start Electric Vehicle Charging in New Jersey
PSEG Launches Inaugural Climate Report
Report Evaluates PSEG’s Strategy Against a Scenario to Limit Global Average Temperature Increases
“As New Jersey’s largest energy utility, PSEG plays an important part in mitigating the potential impacts of a warming climate,” PSEG Chairman, President and CEO Ralph Izzo said. “We are committed to continuing our leadership role in working to decarbonize our economy and transitioning toward a cleaner, more resilient energy system.”
On Earth Day, A Celebration Of Clean Energy Leadership
PSEG’s CEO shares his thoughts and hopes for climate change & clean energy targets.
WexEnergy wins 2020 TechUnited:BetterPlanet Challenge $50K Prize
At WexEnergy, quick fix for drafty windows has long-term impact on environment. Company awarded $50K, mentorship opportunity after winning PSEG &TechUnited: NJ CleanTech Impact Challenge.
WexEnergy was recently announced as the winner of the $50,000 BetterPlanet Challenge — a contest, sponsored by Public Service Enterprise Group and TechUnited New Jersey during the Propelify Innovation Festival earlier this month. In addition to the $50,000 cash prize, the company will get a business mentorship. Rosen already is planning how the company can take advantage of the award.
“We plan to get the message out in New Jersey and raise awareness that WindowSkin is a solution that’s available today,” she told ROI-NJ. “And we hope to work with PSEG to identify some pilot opportunities and provide incentives to the building owners.”
What is the TechUnited:BetterPlanet Program?
The TechUnited:BetterPlanet program is a corporate alliance committed to fast-track innovation, ignite collaboration, and propel the future of clean energy.
Alliance members benefit from:
- Exposure and recognition as a tech leader
- Access to early stage startups & innovation
- Integration into the full suite of experiences that the TechUnited products for members & the larger NJ business community
The BetterPlanet program focuses on supporting the innovation community through:
- Corporate pilots & partnerships
- Educational forums
- Networking events
- Impact challenges & innovation programs