TechUnited:BetterConnected Challenge Newark
A startup competition to celebrate innovators & startups supporting main street businesses in Newark, New Jersey.
Brought to you by the TechUnited:BetterConnected Newark program founding partner, Audible.
$25,000 Grand Prize
$10,000 towards Newark office space
1:1 Mentorship with Audible Executives
Challenge Statement | Tech for Traction: Modernize & Grow Main Street
For Newark retailers and small businesses, how might technology:
- Increase retail traffic and customer lifetime value
- Provide main street businesses with digital access
- Democratize access to capital and financial equity
- Applicant company must solve the Challenge Statement
- Solution must be thoughtful about impact specifically for minority business owners
- Equitable adoption or implementation of the solution is possible from inception
- Implementation of the solution in Newark provides an opportunity for workforce development or training
- Solutions can include software, hardware, or a combination of the two
- Company has fundraised or generated revenue of $1M or less
- Company is based in the US
- Preference given to:
- Applicants willing to relocate or expand to, or are already operating out of, a Newark office or headquarters
- Companies based in NJ
- Solutions that will create new jobs in NJ
- How can your solution be scaled to effectively impact thousands or millions of businesses operating in lower-income cities?
- How did technology play a role in the development of your solution?
- How does this solution address racial injustices or inequities?
- $25,000 cash prize
- $10,000 towards Newark office space
- 1:1 mentorship from Audible executives
- NJ press features
About the BetterConnected Challenge Newark
How can technology impact our local businesses?
Together with Audible, the TechUnited:BetterConnect Newark program presents the BetterConnected Challenge Newark, promoting modernization & growth of main street businesses, propelled by technology & innovation. Applications will go live April 22, 2022 and close August 26, 2022.
Startups working on innovative solutions that can be implemented by main street retailers and small businesses are invited to apply.
We need innovation to support and accelerate the businesses of Newark. Apply today and let’s propel your solution.
If your company wants to join the TechUnited:BetterConnected Newark program to propel innovation in NJ, be in touch.
Watch the launch interview & apply to win the Challenge
Applications due August 26, 2022
Top Three Semi-Finalists are chosen after review by Judges to pitch at Propelify.
Semi-Finalists pitch and a winner is chosen at Propelify, October 6, 2022.
Submit your application
Semi-finalists match with exclusive mentors.
Two $25,000 prizes are awarded at Propelify, October 6-7, 2021.
What is the TechUnited:BetterConnected Newark Program?
The TechUnited:BetterConnected program is a corporate alliance committed to fast-tracking innovation, igniting collaboration, and propelling the future of local businesses and communities.
Program members benefit from:
- Exposure and recognition as a tech leader
- Access to early stage startups & innovation
- Integration into the full suite of experiences that the TechUnited products for members & the larger NJ business community
The BetterConnected program focuses on supporting the innovation community through:
- Corporate pilots & partnerships
- Educational forums
- Networking events
- Startup Challenges & innovation programs